The Australian Federal Government provides the following financial assistance:-
TO AUSTRALIAN AGED PENSIONER AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN AUSTRALIA
Weekly allowance Australian pensioner-$253.00, boat people -$472.50
Weekly Spouse allowance pensioner-$56.00, boat people-$472.50
Additional weekly hardship allowance pensioner-$0.00, boat people- $145.00
TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT pensioner-$16,068.00, boat people-$56,680.00.
- Able to apply to bring members of immediate family (spouse and children) to Australia.
- Permission to work and receive employment assistance.
- Will be able to leave the country and return without jeopardising their visa.
- Access to full range of DIMIA settlement support services including the Integrated Humanitarian Settlement Strategy (IHSS). Receive 13 weeks initial accommodation and bond assistance. Eligible for rent assistance.
- Immediate access to the full range of social security benefits.
So one foot in the door is work several in the bush.